Posts Tagged ‘list of popular beaches in sri lanka’
The tropical Island known as Sri Lanka is surrounded by the beautiful Indian Ocean and the country is a renowned tourist destination due to its beauty and its attractions. Sri Lanka is home to thousands of great places to see and things to do whilst holidaying here thus leaving your time in this picturesque island a nostalgic memory. Travellers looking forward to spending a quiet holiday beside the tropical beaches of Sri Lanka will be in for a treat as the following list reveals some of the island’s most prominent and visited beaches.
1. Negombo Beach – Negombo is a fishing town located about 35 kilometres from Colombo and about 6 kilometres from the country’s airport. The area is home to one of the island’s favourite tropical destinations where the beaches are serene and beautiful. Travellers to this part of the island can bask in the sun and enjoy its calm waters.
2. Bentota Beach – Bentota is situated about 62 kilometres from Colombo and is a popular place for travellers who are enthusiastic about water sports. The Bentota beach is renowned for its rough waves perfect for water-skiing and wind surfing. Travellers can also enjoy the other activities such as snorkelling, diving and fishing.
3. Arugam Bay – One of the island’s leading surfing destinations, Arugam Bay is located some 314 kilometres away from Colombo and it serves as a great tourist destination as well as a beautiful beach. Travellers to the bay can partake in a plethora of underwater activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling and underwater photography. Adventurous travellers can also indulge in some surfing, jet skiing and other tempting water challenges.
4. Nilaweli Beach – is among the most breathtaking beaches on the island. This beach is perfect for a traveller looking forward to a relaxing getaway. The Nilaweli Beach boasts crystal clear waters and beautiful white sand providing a tranquil ambience under the shady pine trees.
5. Unawatuna Beach – is regarded as one of Sri Lanka’s safest beaches as a reef protects it. The beach boasts turquoise blue waters perfect for an underwater expedition among the corals and the schools of fish. A variety of water activities such as wind surfing, snorkelling and scuba diving are available for enthusiastic travellers.
If you are looking forward to a holiday in Sri Lanka, make sure you seek out the beaches in Sri Lanka. Truly Sri Lanka is a travel portal which offers many useful details about the island nation.